Epidermis is the dermal tissue of the primary plant body. The epidermis of the shoot excretes a cuticle and includes the basal cells of the epidermis, guard cells, and cellular extensions called trichomes. In the root, the basal cells of the epidermis do not form a cuticle and form from root hairs.
- Link to image of a cross section of the epidermis of a Medicago Stem, with a view of a stoma with guard cells and with basal cells of the epidermis.
- Link to image of trichomes of Coleus epidermis.
- Link to image of cuticle of the epidermis of a Nerium leaf.
- Link to image of root hair of a grass seedling root.
- Link to image of a face view of Setcreasea leaf epidermis with guard cells lining a stoma, and with basal epidermal cells.